St. Teath Auxiliary Unit
This page was last updated on 11/5/15
Thank you for selecting information on the St. Teath Auxiliary Unit Patrol
and Operational Base. The information below has been supplied by our Devon CIO Nina Hannaford.
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from
various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below
it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers
have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
From the very first meeting in Whitehall on July 1940 the Intelligence Officer for Devon and Cornwall (named
Auxiliary Units SW Area) was Captain (later Major) J W Stuart Edmundson an officer in the Royal Engineers. He
liaised with the regular army and received supplies and equipment and formed all the Patrols. He was assisted by
Lieutenant (later Captain) John “Jack” Dingley who became IO for Cornwall in 1943 though he may have assumed the
roll before that.
In November 1943 Devon and Cornwall were separated and
Edmundson was succeeded in Cornwall by Captain John Dingley and in Devon by Major W W “Bill” Harston who would remain in command until near stand
down. At the end of Harston's command he would cover “No 4 Region” being the whole of the South West Peninsular and
The IOs were being withdrawn from around August 1944 leaving the Area and Group Commanders.
After 1941 a “grouping” system was developed where some patrols within a demographic area would train together
under more local command. St Breward was part of group 4 along with St Teath and St Issey under the group command
of Lieutenant R Drew.
The area Commander was Captain Harry W Abbiss from Truro who controlled two thirds of the County.
Apart from Sgt Bartlett, all the other patrol members have a joining date
of mid 1942 recorded on the nominal roll. This, therefore, could have been a later patrol or they could have
replaced earlier members leaving to join HM forces.
Sergeant John Bertam Bartlett
Robert Stanley Prout and his younger brother
William Oliver Magor
Thomas B Matthews, joined HM Forces April 1943
Please note this location is on
Condition of OB: Thought to be destroyed.
The underground operational base of the St. Teath Auxiliary Unit was constructed by the patrol members in a
field hedgerow. It was made from corrugated iron sheets and measured about 8ft x 8ft. This is how it is recorded on
the Defence of Britain Database, though this does seem rather small.
The entrance was camouflaged to look like the entry to a fox earth. Despite this camouflage, the bunker was
found by local schoolchildren during the war. Nothing remains at the site today.
A map of the general area can be seen here
Unknown but it is assumed they had access to the normal weapons and equipment seen here.
TNA ref WO199/3390, Alwyn Harvey recorder for Defence of Britain Database.
Hancock data held by B. R. A
If you can help with any info please