Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units

 

Milford Auxiliary Unit Patrol

Thank you for selecting information on the Milford Auxiliary Unit and Operational Base. The info below has come from our internal archive.

This page was last updated at 6:30pm on 2/12/13

Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers have not found it yet.

If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do contact us.



In Sgt Lewis's memoirs it is recorded that a Mr Robert Green, a much respected townsman, fish merchant and British Legion member was the first local Intelligence Officer.

Initially Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire were grouped together and administered from the HQ at Penllwyn Park, Carmarthen by the Intelligence Officer Captain J C Crawley. Pembrokeshire was later to become part of Area 20 along with West Glamorganshire and Carmarthenshire.

After 1941 a “grouping” system was developed where some patrols within a demographic area would train together under more local command. Milford Haven was part of group 4 along Milton, Kilgetty (Stepaside), Castlehigh (Camrose), Letterston, Berry Hill, Fishguard and  Nevern.

It is known that there were also some communications with Carmarthenshire Patrols.

The Group Commanders were Captain J B Ebsworth (in charge of Admin) and Captain T J George (Operational) assisted by Lieutenants W G Smith (Operational) and S M Davies (Admin).

Before stand down it is recorded that Pembrokeshire is part of Region 4 along with the whole of the South West Peninsular and Wales and the final Intelligence Officer was Major W W Harston based in Ashburton in Devon assisted by Captain G Woodward.

The IOs were being withdrawn from around September 1944 leaving the Area and Group Commanders.

July 1940.

Sergeant  Hubert “Stokey” Lewis V.C of Prioryville
Corporal Frank (W) Smith of Prior Road.
Corporal T William Kelly of St Davids Road.
Private Charles F Shrives of Robert Street.
Private A J Ken Fee of Murray Road
Private Edward J Devriendt of St Peters Road
Private Fredrick E Emery of Starback Road

Others that left around late1942 to join HM Forces included:
Private William P Adams of Edward St.
Private Roy H Hart of Victoria Hotel.
Private Tom H Scott of Sandhurst Road.
Private John H Jenkins of Charles Street.
Private E A Lewis

Other names remembered in The Story of Stokey Lewis by Walter Ireland are Tom Mowthorpe, Micky Green, Acken Smith and William Harvey though these men don't appear to be officially recorded.

Currently unknown but it is recorded it was destroyed by the Royal Engineers at stand down.

Built by the Royal Engineers, the location was chosen by “Stokey” Lewis. It was located in the dense undergrowth to the west of Scoveston Farm in the thickly wooded valley of Rhodal Bottom.



Currently unknown.

Sgt. “Stokey” Lewis attended courses at Coleshill and more locally at Carmarthen and Penally.

“Stokey” trained his men well and taught them tricks such as ensuring their ears are left uncovered to detect even the slightest noise. Water bottles were to be kept full so they did not slosh with movement and they were not to carry loose coins or any letters or documents.

He taught them to lay low if encountered by the enemy and never accept battle.

As part of a rehearsal for D-Day, Milford patrol took part in a mock landing at Saundersfoot and Wiseman Bridge. Charles Shrives of Milford Haven patrol was involved in this exercise and recalled : “We operated with the Stepaside Units and saw Winston Churchill viewing the landings. One of the members of the Stepaside group happened to mention to his mother that the Milford V.C ( Sgt. H “Stokey”Lewis) was training with them.
She pleaded so much to meet the V.C that “Stokey” had to make a short visit to her home”

The patrol stockpiled their arsenal of weapons in their homes. It is assumed that they had the standard weapons and explosives issued to all patrols.

As the patrol were excused from duty of the Home Guard road blocks around Milford, others became curious as to what the men were involved with. “Stokey” impressed upon his men that they should insist their work was secret but very dull and uninteresting. If accused of not pulling their weight they should not try to justify themselves and if cornered they were instructed to “play the idiot boy”

Stokey Lewis was awarded the Victoria Cross in 1916 when in Salonika. He can be seen here 49 seconds in.

Auxilier Charles Shrives recalled : “Stokey always wanted the best out of the section. He set high standards and was very efficient with weapons. On one occasion he stripped down a Thompson Sub machine gun and discovered another way of fixing the firing mechanism. Although he acted against orders, the details were forwarded to HQ.

When we were trained by the Commandos “Stokey” would always take them to his home for a meal.
As the groups sniper he was cool and fearless.

While exercising with explosives on one scheme, a thrown charge with a short time fuse hit some barbed wire. As it rebounded towards the section we all ran. “Stokey” calmly walked forward and hurled the charge into the nearby pond.“

Stokey Lewis

A young Sergeant Hubert “Stokey” Lewis with his VC.



Nominal Roll held at TNA reference WO199/3389
Major Hancock data held at B.R.A
The Story of Stokey Lewis by Walter Ireland
The Last Ditch by David Lampe

If you can help with any info please contact us.