Major Nigel Vernon Oxenden MC – GHQ Staff Officer
This page was last updated at 1:25pm on 25/9/12
||10th October 1895 Westminster Nigel Vernon
Name changed 11.09.1916 by deed poll to OXENDEN
||Son of Col. Patrick Fitzgerald Gallwey (1838-1903),
and Flora Caroline Oxenden (1864?-1948). of Miramar, St Brelade's,
||Nigel Oxenden died on the 1st November 1948 aged
53. He died at the Millbrook Nursing Home, St Helier, Jersey
||28-08-1915 The Welsh Regiment
T/2nd Lt. [No. 104719]
T/Lt. Transferred to Machine Gun Corps
2nd Lt commissioned, The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers [emergency com.]
A/Capt. seconded (Commands and Staff, Miscellaneous Special Appointments)
AUXILIARY UNITS 1940 - 1945
Relinquished Commission with Hon. Rank of Major.
Awarded the MC on 13.02.1917 for conspicuous gallantry in action. He
displayed great courage and initiative in the placing of his machine guns during an attack on the
enemy's trenches. Later, he rescued a wounded man under very heavy fire.
Awarded the MC on 02.12.1918 for conspicuous gallantry and ability while
commanding a section of machine guns in an attack. He led his men forward with great dash and took
up an advanced position, from which he was able to cover the line reached by the infantry with
enfilade fire. When the enemy attempted to counterattack he materially assisted in breaking up the
Married (16.09.1926, St Helier's, Jersey) Patricia Alexander, only daughter
of Lt.Col. H.S. Alexander, DSO, Indian Army, and Mrs Alexander, of Jersey
Published: Auxiliary Units history and achievement, 1940-1944 :
the official story of Britain’s secret wartime resistance army / discovered and
introduced by the British Resistance Organisation Museum ; from an original document written by
N.V. Oxenden, October 1944 ; [researched and compiled by Andy Taylor]. (1998)
Nigel Oxenden 1923
Donated by Jem Oxenden on June 01, 2010
Nigel ‘Oxo’ Oxenden started the Island Surf Club of Jersey in 1923 after picking
up surfing on his travels to Hawaii.
This photo from the Oxenden family collection shows Oxo in the early 1920s with
his surfboard which is currently on loan to the Museum of British Surfing.
It features a leash made from sash window cord which he would tie to his belt,
and is attached to the board by metal loop on its tail – 70 years before the ‘invention’ of the leash!
(Information compiled by CART Researcher Bill Ashby)