Churchill's British Resistance - The Auxiliary Units

 

Easton Park / Glevering Auxiliary Unit Patrol

This page was last updated at 5:00pm on 15/3/12

Thank you for selecting information on the Easton Park / Glevering Auxiliary Unit Patrol and their Operational Base in Suffolk. The info and images below have been supplied by Aux researchers Evelyn Simak and Adrian Pye.

The patrol was sometimes also referred to as Glevering Patrol, presumably because the patrol leader and several members came from Glevering, a hamlet located a couple of miles south-east of Easton. The patrol formed part of Framlingham Group (8th Bn/Framlingham GHQ 202 Bn Home Guard Reserve) which also included;

Sibton Patrol
Saxmundham (aka Carlton) Patrol
Wickham Market (aka Little Glemham) Patrol – codename “Thrush”
Stratford St Andrew Patrol
Leiston Patrol – codename “Seamew”
Debenham Patrol and Peasenhall Patrol

Group CO: Capt George Scott-Moncrieff *
2nd Lt LWO Turner
Lt TH Denny (Later Major), Barkwith House, Leiston

George Scott-Moncrieff was Group Commander for North and South Suffolk. He lived at Orchard Close, Hacheston near Framlingham during his AU service. His father was Lt Col George Kenneth Scott-Moncrieff of the Royal Engineers, awarded Knight Commander in 1901 for service in India. Capt Scott-Moncrieff was one of the early AU COs along with Andrew Croft, Nigel Oxenden, Captain Peter Fleming and Billy Beyts, all appointed by Colin McVean Gubbins. Info: Stephen Lewins

It is currently unknown when the patrol was formed.

Sgt Richard Hayward - Home Farm, Glevering
Cpl SJ Potter TXAM 20/1
Richard R Pipe
Maurice Springfield
RG Payne
Arthur W Chatfield – farm worker (Home Farm)
FV Warren
George Arment Spink - farm worker (Home Farm)
Jack Kindred

AW Chatfield and GA Spink worked on Sgt R Hayward’s farm.

The OB was built into the ha-ha surrounding a small woodland known as “The Wilderness”, situated in the south-western corner of Easton Park.

Easton Park

A track skirts the northern edge of the woodland, running parallel with the sunken wall and past the OB which was situated about 150 yards from the road. Inquisitive villagers were told that the structure was intended to be used as an emergency food supply during the war and some still believe this story today. The whole park is surrounded on all sides by a high red-brick crinkle-crankle wall which is believed to be the longest existing wall of its kind. Before Easton Park came under new ownership, several gates in this wall provided access to the park.

A old map of the park

Currently unknown

Currently unknown

Sten or Thompson submachine guns, Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knives and .38 revolvers plus a variety of explosives, detonators and fuses would have been standard issue.

The former estate village of Easton is situated approximately five kilometres south of Framlingham. Easton Manor had been converted for use as a Red Cross Hospital. After the end of WW1 the British government imposed super taxes on the rich to help defray the cost of the war, and considering the high cost of restoring the Mansion, Lord James Graham (later the Duke of Montrose) decided to sell the estate. The land was divided into 137 lots and sold by auction in 1919. The Mansion, however, did not sell and it was finally demolished in 1924. The surrounding 150-acre parkland, Easton Park, was transferred to Martley Hall which adjoins in the north. It is currently a stud farm (Easton Park Stud).


Richard Hayward (son of patrol leader Sgt R Hayward); JC Hammond, Easton; BROM Parham

If you can help with any info please contact us.