A report by Will Ward - CART CIO for Dorset.If you can help with any info please contact Will
by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
This page last updated at 9:31am on 29/8/14
Research into this patrol and its training is ongoing. The information below is published from
various sources and is by no means conclusive. If information is not listed below
it does not necessarily mean the information is not out there but normally means CART researchers
have not found it yet.
If you have any information on this patrol or can help with research in this area please do
Auxiliary Patrol: Creech Barrow - near Church Knowle (close to the Blue
Pool tourist attraction) Patrol codename: Unknown.
The map on the sign below shows the location of the OB
The following are the entries found in the Nominal Roll, with any research notes etc, given
in [ ].
Exact addresses have been removed by CART.
Sgt. Fred J Simpson
Cpl. Douglas Frank Green
Pte. Harold Arthur Hatchard
Pte. H John (Jack) Hatchard
Pte. Wilf R Stockley
Pte. Leslie C Green
Pte. Eli Frank Kitcatt
Fred Simpson recalls that two members of the patrol were called up to the mines, and were replaced. Jack
Hatchard certainly went to the mines in February 1944. However, it appears that Wilf Stockley, Eli Kitcatt, Jack
Hatchard, Les and Doug Green may all have been later additions to the patrol. The Aux Units Nominal roll records
Wilf Stockley as joining on 2/2/1942 (this may just refer to regular Home Guard), though the Dorset Home Guard
records have him transferring from No.6 Company to the Aux Section on 10/2/1943. The same records have Doug Green
transferring on 1/3/1942 from No.2 Company. Les Green left the same company in November 1942, presumably to join
Aux Units. Eli Kitcatt is down as joining on 30/9/42 and Jack Hatchard on 11/3/1943 according to the nominal roll.
It is not exactly clear when the patrol was formed and it may be that the men served with the Aux Units before all
the paperwork was properly sorted out.
(Left. Fred Simpson with Tommy Gun)
Fred Simpson was a farm worker and was recruited with two other men from he Home Guard, joining up
with men from other Home Guard units to form the patrol. He was initially a corporal before being
promoted to Sergeant.
Doug Green was also a farmworker. His cousin Les Green was a clayworker from Church Knowle was
Wilf Stockley, while Eli Kitcatt apparently drove the clay train. The Hatchards were from
The patrol built their own base to begin with but it collapsed and they built another. The location of these is
Eventually the Royal Engineers were sent to build a more substantial OB. The remains survive just off a footpath
and can be easily visited. Map ref SY939828. The main entrance shaft had a hatch operated by a remote cable. The
first chamber contained the equipment and tables. There was a second chamber, unusually set at an angle with a
short connecting tunnel, apparently to deflect blast, though it isn’t clear if this would have worked. The second
chamber held naval type hammocks in a star pattern suspended from the centre. At the end of this chamber was the
escape exit. What survives is the entrance shaft and the walls of the two chambers, though the corrugated iron
roofs have collapsed.
The Entrance Shaft
Looking out to the escape tunnel
One of the ventilation pipes
Composite view from inside the first chamber
These included the railway from Swanage to Wareham and the main line from Weymouth which passed through Wareham.
They also practiced against Holton Heath Munitions factory.
Apart from training to attack the above targets, they also regularly travelled to the Dorset HQ at Duntish Court, Buckland Newton for
training. Fred Simpson reckoned to make a small profit on the journey as a mileage allowance was payable. He also
recalled going to Coleshill at least once.
In 1944 the patrol was mobilised to provide a week’s guard for the underground bunkers of the radar station near
Worth Matravers. This was part of the defences against possible German counter rads around the time of D Day.
Another patrol took over from them.
In 2009 a memorial stone was erected near to the OB. It lists the men involved and a sign alongside has pictures
of the men and a rough plan of the layout of the OB. It was erected by the Royal British Legion.